Service Dog Capabilities
All dogs cannot do all things, but with proper dog selection and proper training, service dogs can complete many tasks that improve the quality of life for many physically and psychologically wounded individuals. The following are categories of tasks, with a few examples, that a Smoky Mountain Service Dog can perform for their veteran.
Retrieval Based Tasks
- Bring portable phone to any room in the house.
- Bring in groceries in canvas bags.
- Pick up dropped items i.e. credit card, keys, etc.
- Bring clothes, shoes, slippers to assist with dressing.
- Retrieve a designated bag containing medications
Carrying Based Tasks
- Transport items upstairs or downstairs to a specific location.
- Carry a prearranged object to care-giver as a signal that help is needed.
- Carry mail or newspaper inside the house.
Deposit Based Tasks
- Deposit cans/bottles into recycling bin.
- Deposit dog toys into designated container.
- Place prescription bag, mail, other items on countertop.
- Assist partner to load clothing into top loading washing machine.
Tug Based Tasks
- Open drawers and cupboard doors with attached strap.
- Open refrigerator door with a strap.
- Assist with clothing removal.
Nose Nudge Based Tasks
- Nudge shut cupboard door or drawers.
- Operate button or push plate on electric commercial doors.
Harness Based Tasks
- Provide counter balance when walking (non bracing)
SMSD has been awarded Accreditation by Assistance Dogs International. This validates that the facilities and operation of the SMSD program meets or exceeds ADI standards.
Smoky Mountain Service Dogs "Tribute to Our Military"
Each Smoky Mountain Service Dog puppy is hand selected by our trainers and the majority will come from reputable breeders. Appropriate shelter/rescue dogs may also be considered.